Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Red Lentil Soup with Spinach

Oh boy did I hit the Jackpot when I made this recipe. It sounded so delicious and indeed it is. I love when I find a healthy recipe that is ever so tasty too. Double goodness! I found this recipe on the Kaiser Permanente site. I know it's not an original from me, but of course I put my own twist on it to make it extra special.

When I make soup it has to be a big batch, so I just about doubled the recipe for starters. Think big like me. Of course it needed more garlic (it keeps the vampires away), and a few other changes. Stud Muffin loved this one as much as I did and it was a first for me to make the same soup twice in one week. Once you try this baby you will crave it for a regular fix. I found the red lentils (look orange to me), in the dried bean section and I bought the Goya brand ones. I love Goya products, they have a great price and quality.


  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 large onions, diced
  • 10 cloves of garlic (yes count em 10), peeled and pressed through a garlic press
  • 2 heaping tablespoons of tomato paste
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 12 cups water
  • 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable base ( I used chicken)
  • 2 cups diced carrots
  • 1, 16 oz bag of Goya red lentils or 2 cups
  • 8 oz bag fresh baby spinach

In a large soup pot over medium heat saute the garlic and onion in oil until translucent. 

Add the next 8 ingredients to the soup pot and bring to a boil, now add the lentils and bring to a boil again. Cover pot and lower to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.

Then stir in the fresh spinach, don't worry it looks like alot at first, but then it wilts down. Stir well and simmer for about 5 more minutes or until the spinach wilts down. Enjoy!

I freeze the remaining tomato paste for later use, waste not want not. This soup is not only delicious and healthy, it is also so quick and easy to make. I knew I was in a love with this soup when I almost had it for breakfast, guess what ~  lunch time came a bit early that day.







No comments:

Post a Comment