I have a confession to make. When ever I prepare fresh garlic I like to sit around afterward and smell my fingers. LOL! Why? Because I love garlic. Maybe it's an Italian thing. Anyway you can serve this on top of bread or use bread to dip into this hearty treasure. I used a hearty slice of garlic bread, but I have also used toasted organic oat bread. You decide, some may even want it on top of an English Muffin.
You will need a 12 inch nonstick skillet with a lid for this dish.
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled & slice thin, or 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- One 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- freshly ground sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 cup fresh basil leaves, I like to cut it with kitchen scissors
- 4 large eggs
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Bread of choice: Garlic bread, English muffin, or a hearty bread toasted.
- Prepare and set aside above ingredients, even having the eggs cracked open and in separate dishes.
- Preheat nonstick skillet up on medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic and onion, saute for 3 minutes. Do not brown.
- Then add canned tomato, oregano and basil. Bring mixture to a simmer til it is nice and bubbly, then cook uncovered for 3 minutes. You may add salt & pepper at this time or on top after it is cooked and plated.
- Add eggs spread out evenly in skillet and quickly sprinkle a thin layer of shredded Parmesan over top of tomato mixture leaving egg tops exposed. Immediately cover eggs and cook for 3 minutes. No peeky, peeky! You will be poaching the eggs in the sauce. Keep in mind the mixture is hot and egg will continue to set once it is served over bread.
- Meanwhile as the eggs are cooking toast the bread of your choice
- Place 2 eggs per plate over top of the bread. Enjoy! Serves 2
Notice how the eggs are evenly spaced in the skillet. Also I like a 3 minute egg with this dish as it will cook some more once it is removed from the skillet. If you prefer more spice you can add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes at #3.