Italiano Tofu Sandwich
- 4 slices of Kalamata Olive Bread
- 1 package of Baked flavored Tofu 6 oz., (savory) or flavor of your choice
- 2 slices of Sargento reduced fat Provolone
- 1 jar 6 1/2 oz. Goya, Fancy Pimientos
- Sweet or Red onion, sliced very thin
- Sprouts of your choice
- Balsamic Salad dressing, I used Ken's light options
- Fresh Basil
You will only need 4 slices of the bread, so you may freeze or refrigerate the rest for later use. Prepare sandwiches ingredients in order:
- Open tofu and slice, evenly cutting both pieces into half lengthwise (reducing the thickness of it). Layer 2 tofu slices per sandwich onto bottom slice of bread.
- Then place 1 slice of provolone on top of tofu, reserving the rest of cheese for later use.
- Open jar of pimientos and carefully pull out of jar with out breaking up, pat dry with a paper towel, then cover top of tofu with a single layer of pimento. You probably will not use all of it, refrigerate unused pimientos for later use.
- Layer two thin slices of onion on top of pimentos.
- Then add sprouts to cover generously and drizzle them with salad dressing.
- Add freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste.
- Cover up sprouts with fresh Basil leaves (stems removed), this will take the place of lettuce. Place second slice of bread on top and cut into half, serve immediately. Serves 2.
You may make this the night before for your lunch the next day. Just wrap up in plastic wrap and refrigerate.