I notice that a lot of kids have do not like large chunks of tomato in the sauce. Make sure you use petite diced tomato, it makes a big difference.
Baked Penne Pasta
- 1 (14.5 oz.) box of penne pasta (Ronzoni Smart Taste)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- ¾ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 pkg. ground turkey 99% lean (about 1 1/3 lb.)
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomato
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup fat free milk
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz. reduced fat Sargento's grated 4 cheese Italian
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated Asiago cheese
Then add to turkey: onion, tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, garlic powder, and olive oil. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 15 minutes. Then stir in stock, milk, and penne pasta, mix well. You may season with black pepper. Place half in a large 10 x 13 inch pyrex dish sprayed with pam spray. Cover with half of the parmesan and 4 cheese blend, then repeat. Spread Asiago on top of pasta last. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Enjoy!
This is a healthier version and you will not miss the fat and the high fiber pasta is delicious. Makes 8 generous portions.