The Tomato & Onion salad is great as a side. Make sure you have some crusty bread to dip into the juice, or chop and place the bread in a bowl with the tomato & onion salad on top. Or, serve it on a crusty Italian roll. Also, you may top salad greens with it and you will not need any salad dressing. Try filling up a pita with it. Enjoy!
Tomato & Onion Salad
- 2 lbs. grape tomatoes, rinsed and sliced in half
- 1 large sweet vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
It is also scrumptious when you add some fresh mozzarella balls to the salad. You can eat it on a pita or a crusty Italian roll.
I remember my Mom would make this salad for the family when I was a little girl. Summertime fresh tomatoes always spurred a craving for this one. When I was young I did not like the taste of tomatoes or onions, but I would dip Italian bread into the juice. It was delicious. Not anymore, I love tomatoes and onions. This is a summertime favorite. What more can you ask for, quick and easy to make, delicious and healthy too.