Friday, May 7, 2010

Summertime Tomato & Onion Salad

Seasons change, and our cooking choices change with the season. Here is a fast and easy recipe for the warmer weather. It is so good that I find myself craving it year round.

The Tomato & Onion salad is great as a side. Make sure you have some crusty bread to dip into the juice, or chop and place the bread in a bowl with the tomato & onion salad on top. Or, serve it on a crusty Italian roll. Also, you may top salad greens with it and you will not need any salad dressing. Try filling up a pita with it. Enjoy!


Tomato & Onion Salad
  • 2 lbs. grape tomatoes, rinsed and sliced in half
  • 1 large sweet vidalia onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Prepare tomatoes and onion then place into a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Chill in refrigerator until ready to eat. It will taste even better the next day.


It is also scrumptious when you add some fresh mozzarella balls to the salad. You can eat it on a pita or a crusty Italian roll.

I remember my Mom would make this salad for the family when I was a little girl. Summertime fresh tomatoes always spurred a craving for this one. When I was young I did not like the taste of tomatoes or onions, but I would dip Italian bread into the juice. It was delicious. Not anymore, I love tomatoes and onions. This is a summertime favorite. What more can you ask for, quick and easy to make, delicious and healthy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment