Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

Chicken Noodle is the soup I always make for my family when they are sick--good comfort food. But, there was only one problem, no one made any for me when I was sick! Unless you have two main cooks in the house, I recommend you make some in advance to freeze for later. Of course, it is so good, you don't need to wait until you're sick. You will never want canned soup again.
  • 18 cups or 4 ½ qts. water*
  • 1/2 cup chicken base*
  • 1 rotisserie chicken, whole
  • 1 ½ cup diced celery hearts
  • 1 ½ cup diced sweet onion
  • 1 ½ cup diced carrots
  • 6-8 oz. Kluski egg noodles** (3 cups dry noodles)
  • 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
In a large 8 qt. soup pot add water and base. Mix well with a wire whisk breaking up base, the base makes a delicious chicken broth. Add chicken and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cooked covered for 30 minutes.

While chicken is simmering dice carrots, celery, and onion. Remove chicken from pot and place on platter and set aside to cool. Add diced vegetables and black pepper to pot of chicken broth. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to simmer.

Remove skin from chicken and discard. Pull chicken meat from bones and cut into bite size portions. Add to soup pot and simmer for 30 - 45 minutes. Add egg noodles and cook for 30 - 60 minutes. Serve immediately.

I purchase my rotisserie chicken cooked from the wholesale clubs or grocery stores. I always keep 1 or 2 in the freezer to be ready any time. Just add frozen chicken to pot.

*You may use 18 cups chicken broth in place of water and base.
**My favorite egg noodles are Kluski noodles, they taste and look just like homemade. Once you eat this you will never want canned soup again. Enjoy!

1 comment: