Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Fig Tree


While I was a little girl, growing up in Philadelphia, the old Italians used to sit around talking about their fig trees. I used to think, they must lead a boring life to be so excited about old fig trees. Fast forward. Now that I'm getting a little older myself, I see that I must have been wrong. So I'm here to tell you about my fig trees.

There is nothing better than a fresh picked fig. Figs do not ripen once picked and need to be eaten soon thereafter as well. That my friend is where the store bought figs fall short. These figs will have you telling your friends how delicious they are. Watch out the young kids will think you are nuts. :)


One of the great things about fig trees is that they are one of the easiest trees to grow. They like to be in a sunny location, even planted in poor soil. We had removed the bushes from one side of our house to make room for our beloved fig tree, and I was constantly checking out my pitiful looking fig-stick all winter long. When springtime came around I was certain it was dead, but, alas, it was alive. Alive I say! The worry was real, and the joy was sincere once I saw it sprout. Little did I know, they are late blooming plants, and I was so happy to see the first leaves sprout. I love the look of the leaves as they appear to be almost tropical looking. My tree was planted last fall, and it already has a ton of baby figs on it. I can hardly wait for those sweet treaties to be ripe. They are like candy from mother nature. I hear that by the time the tree is 3 years old I should get 3 bushels of figs from the tree. My friends and family will be so happy as I share my treasures with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment