Thursday, August 7, 2014

Bacon Wrapped Weenies

I have noticed a lot of bacon talk going around these days. America does have a love affair with bacon and this recipe should help you love it even more. You will notice that I used lower fat hot dogs, bacon and cheese in my recipe. Sorry! I can't help myself, I'm always trying to cut back on fat but not the flavor. To be honest my Stud Muffin gave a big approval on this one.
  • 1 package of Hebrew National 97% fat free franks
  • 8 slices of center cut bacon
  • 8 toothpicks, broke in half
  • 1 pack of Martin's hot dog potato rolls
Toppings optional:
  • pickled jalapeno slices
  • Sargento 1/3 less fat shredded sharp cheese
Wrap each hot dog with a bacon slice securing each end with toothpick halves. Place in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. This is hands on cooking and you will frequently need to turn the weenies with tongs for even browning and crispness of the bacon. Also a splatter screen is helpful too.


Towards the end of the cooking time (about last 5 minutes), I noticed the toothpicks were not letting me cook the bacon evenly so I removed them by holding down the weenies with a spatula and pulling out the toothpicks with the tongs. The bacon will stay in place at this time and has adhered to the weenie. These take about 20 minutes to fully cook, yes 20 minutes. When bacon is crispy and evenly browned they are fully cooked Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess bacon grease and serve immediately.



You get to pick your toppings, but our favorite was cheddar cheese with some jalapeno slices.

3 comments:

  1. No need to apologize for cutting fat without cutting flavor. That's a big reason I love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used same technique with Hebrew National franks wrapped with bacon for several years now. I'll also use this bacon wrapped frank as basis for a bacon-chili dog. Thanks for sharing your technique.

    ReplyDelete