Chilly Fall days here in Maryland scream for a nice hearty soup. It will fill you up and warm your chilly bones from the inside out. It a big batch of soup so share some with friend or neighbor or freeze some into individual size portions. Think big and eat great! Enjoy!
- 2 ½ -3 lbs. sirloin or beef round top round steak
- 18 cups or 4 1/2 quarts of water
- 1/3 cup beef base *
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen Petite Peas
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen Butter Beans or Lima's
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen Sweet White Corn
- 1 20 oz. bag frozen cut Green Beans
- 2 cups diced raw potatoes diced w/ skin on
- 1 cup chopped fresh cabbage
- 1 ½ cup diced fresh carrots
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
Preheat grill to high. Sear meat for 3 minutes on each side or you may brown meat in a large skillet inside if you do not have access to a gas grill. Set meat on platter and set aside.
In a large soup pot add beef base, water, & tomato paste. stir together well with a wire whisk making sure you break up base and tomato paste. Heat over medium heat. Then add the peas, butter beans, corn, green beans, potatoes, cabbage, salt , & pepper. Cut meat into bite size pieces and add to the soup pot. Cover stirring occasionally until soup comes to a boil. Then lower heat and simmer for 2-3 hours.
*I buy chicken and beef base at the wholesale food clubs and they make the best broth for soups.