Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Red Beans & Rice

Red Beans & Rice is a versatile dish. I sometimes eat them as a side with my Blackened Fish Tacos, as a bowl of beans for lunch, or even as a Burrito. Either way you can't go wrong, and the flavor of this dish is perfect. My goodness I thought our good friend Jim was going to lick the bowl clean after he was done. He's spent most of his life in California and he gets really good Hispanic food there. So it was a very nice compliment when he raved about my beans & rice. Preparation is so easy too. Enjoy!

Red Beans & Rice


  • 1 cup long grain brown rice
  • 3 (15 oz.) cans Goya, Red Beans in Sauce
  • 1 (7 oz.) can Goya, Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
Cook rice according to package directions. About 5 minutes before rice is fully cooked, in a large pot add red beans and one or two diced chipotle peppers, because they tend to vary in size. Bring to a simmer, when rice is fully cooked add to beans and mix together well. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

You will have leftover chipotles. I like to freeze them individually in small ziploc snack bags for later use. I pull then out one at a time as I need them for recipes. The brown rice is healthier than the white rice and it goes well in this recipe. This is so simple and it has the best flavor. You will find Goya products in the ethnic isle.


If you have leftover beans and rice it will make a delicious burrito, all you need is a tortilla and some cheese. It's really good to eat cold too.

No comments:

Post a Comment