I just love potatoes, and I think they get a bad rap. This fascinating little tuber is actually quite nutritious, containing more potassium than a banana. It's surprisingly high in vitamin C. Boiled, or baked with the skin on will provide a multitude of nutrients, plus healthy dietary fiber (although most of the other vitamins and minerals are in the potato flesh itself). That is why I always leave the skin on. So here you go you can have your potatoes and eat them too. Healthy can taste good!
Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin
- Yukon gold potatoes skins on and sliced thin, about 4 cups
- 1 medium sweet vidalia onion sliced thin
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 4 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp. Smart Balance margarine
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
- ½ tsp. garlic powder, optional
- 1 cup reduced fat grated Sargento Cheddar cheese
The yellow meat potatoes have a more buttery flavor to them and really help make these tasty without a lot of added fat.