You may notice that I use soup base in my soups all of the time. I swear it makes the best tasting soups ever! I have to order mine online, but you can get the chicken and beef bases at the wholesale food clubs in the spice aisle.
Manhattan Clam Chowder
- 10 cups water
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup clam base
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 16 oz. bag of frozen petite peas
- 1 14 oz. bag of frozen lima beans
- 1 16 oz. bag of frozen white corn
- 1 16 oz. bag of frozen cut green beans
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 med sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped into bite size pieces, I like to leave the skin on but it's your choice
- 1 1/2 cups carrots,finely diced
- 1 51 oz. can of Chopped Ocean Clams
Meanwhile, prepare remaining fresh veggies. After soup broth comes to a boil add veggies and bring to a boil again. Then lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
Then drain juice from canned clams into soup pot but reserve the clams and set aside for now. Bring soup back up to a boil again then stir in the clams and cook for about 5 more minutes. I do this so as to not overcook the clams and make them tough.
Remove bay leaves and serve immediately. Enjoy!