Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Baked Eggplant Parmesan

My buddy Emily inspired me to make this one. I was visiting her at her house and she picked 2 eggplants out of her garden for me. Thank you Em!

I love Eggplant Parmesan but I find that when it is fried it soaks up the oil. So this is a way to cut back on fat and the mess of frying, too. Double dipping, I just love that. I actually like this version much better too. Mangia!


Baked Eggplant Parmesan
  • 1 or 2 eggplants
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • ¼ cup milk, I used fat free
  • about 2 cups panko bread crumbs
  • 1 jar pasta sauce, I used Muir Glen Organic Roasted Garlic
  • Pam Olive oil spray
  • Sargento reduced fat grated, 4 cheese Italian
  • grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile slice eggplant into 1/2 inch thick slices. I had a small eggplant and a medium one that made 12 slices.

In 2 medium size bowls add the eggs and milk and mix well then add panko to the other bowl. Dip eggplant into egg mixture, then into panko pressing into panko on both sides. Place on a large baking sheet coated with olive oil spray. When all are coated spray the top of the eggplants with the oil too.

Place in oven and total bake time is 40 minutes but you will need to flip the eggplant after 20 minutes and spray the tops with oil, back to the oven it goes for 15 more minutes.

Meanwhile microwave about half of the jar of pasta sauce until it is hot. Remove eggplant from oven and add the hot pasta sauce on top, then the grated cheeses, cook for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted and it's golden brown on top.

Easy clean up tip: Line baking sheet with foil before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment