Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Jewish Apple Cake

It's Fall and this is a great way to use up our bounty of fresh apples that are in season now. Get rid of those crispy critters with dignity! I may be Italian but I make a mean Jewish Apple Cake. I'll tell you that my Mom made this cake more times then I could count. So her memory lives on in this recipe.

This one tastes like Apple Pie in a cake form. Now that sounds scrumptious doesn't it? Life is too short, eat dessert first. Enjoy!


Jewish Apple Cake
  • Peel 5 small apples and cut into small pieces.
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 4 eggs
  • ¼ cup orange juice
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 ½ tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare apples and place in a large bowl. In a small bowl mix together 1 Tbsp. of cinnamon and ¼ cup sugar, then stir into diced apples and mix well, set aside.

Add next 8 ingredients and beat with an electric until smooth. Pour half of batter into a greased & floured 10 inch tube pan. Arrange apple mixture over top of batter evenly, then pour remaining batter on top of apples. Bake for 65-75 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and cake is golden brown. Remove from pan and let stand on rack to cool for 30 minutes.

My mom made this cake more times then I could count. It was one of her favorites. I like to use McIntosh or Cortland apples, or you may use any firm apple of your choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment