Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Banana Oatmeal Bread

I'll tell you a secret, I do not like bananas. But if you put them in a bread, pie, cake or muffin you will have my fat cells perky and my full attention. My Dad always likes to spread his with cream cheese or butter but I prefer mine naked. I can't tell you how many times I've made this bread and it's a favorite in my house. My grandson James loves his Nonna's nanner bread. Our little guy is so handsome and he's a genius too. Nonna knows.

This is a great tasting recipe that is healthier than most, less sugar, flour and it also has oatmeal in it. I just love it when that happens. Get rid of those rotten bananas with dignity!

  • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • ¾ cups oatmeal
  • 3 overly ripe bananas, peeled & mashed
  • 1/3 cup fat free buttermilk
  • ¼ cup canola oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a very large bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients until well blended.

Combine mashed banana with the next 4 remaining ingredients, stir into the flour mixture until just mixed.

Spray a 8x4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Add batter to pan and cook for 55 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes then invert on rack to cool. Wrap well and refrigerate until ready to eat.



This recipe is from the 2005 Cooking Light cookbook.



No comments:

Post a Comment