Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Guacamole

Guacamole is one of my all time favorites! I just love this creamy dip and there are many variations to it. Chunky vs smooth, tomato or not, I could go on and on. I will share my favorite version with my Feasty Fans. So serve this as an appetizer or you could do like my Stud Muffin and I did. We had ours for lunch, yes that's right it was our lunch. Busted! We could not bare to not eat it once it was made. So poof!  We made all gone. Our tummies were full and we were fat & happy.

  • 3 ripe avocados
  • juice of 1 fresh lime, room temp
  • 1 Roma tomato, finely diced
  • 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
  • 1/8 cup sweet onion, finely diced
  • a sprig or two of fresh cilantro, finely minced (optional)

You need a nice ripe avocado that is just soft to the touch and the outer skin is dark.
I like to cut the avocado in half and remove seeds. Just embed the knife blade into the seed enough so that you will be able to twist the embedded knife and the seed will pop  right out.                                                                     
Next  I like to cut the avocado meat while still in skin with a paring knife into a criss cross pattern, being careful not to slice through the skin, then scoop out with a large spoon into the bowl.
After you have prepared all 3 avocados add the lime juice and the garlic powder. It's important that the lime is room temp because it is easier to juice it that way. Cut lime in half and stick a fork in it, hold lime with one hand and twist the fork into the lime to release the juice into the bowl. The same thing works well for lemons except I place a small wire mesh strainer over the bowl to catch the seeds.                         
Mash the avocado well with a fork until fairly smooth, I like mine a little chunky but still smooth. If you want really smooth Guac then you can puree it in a food processor. Now add the onion, cilantro and tomato, mix well. Place in an air tight container but place plastic wrap over top of Guac and gently press down where ever air would touch the Guac, now seal on lid and chill. This will prevent it from turning brown on top. Serve after a few hours or so and serve with tortilla chips. Or you may be partners in crime with us and eat it right away. My hubby is a party pooper and would not let me add any Cilantro. So much for Freedom of the cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment