Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Italian Pepper & Egg Sandwich

I'll tell you that this sandwich brings back childhood memories. It's amazing how something so simple can taste so good. It's frugal and I also need to mention the quick and easy factor as well. My Mom always used green pepper but any color sweet bell pepper of your choice will do, pick your favorite or do a blend. Did you know that peppers are high in vitamin C and we all know we need that.

The only thing that I can not mimic here is the scrumptious Italian rolls that we used to get in Philly. They were delicious and made the best Hoagies ever, but here in Maryland they call them Submarines or Subs. I think everyone knows that Philly is famous for their Steak & Cheese Hoagies. My Dad swears during the war when he was a kid that they used horse meat instead of beef. If you came from Philly you will cringe here when eating one for the first time.....they put mayonnaise on it, yes that is what I said....mayonnaise. Every person in Philly knows you have to have fried onions, white cheese, hot peppers (optional but highly recommend), and ketchup on your Steak & Cheese Hoagie. That's it!  I may have talked myself into eating red meat again. I hope you enjoyed my blast from the past.

  • 3/4 cup egg Beaters or 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/3 cup diced green bell pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic powder
  • freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
  • About 1 or 2 Tbsp. of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
  • 2 slices of Sargento Red Fat Provolone cheese slices
  • Olive oil in spray can
  • 1 Italian long roll, partially cut through long ways, I used a whole wheat one
Use 12 inch non stick skillet over medium heat and spray bottom of pan with oil. Saute pepper for about 3 minutes. Meanwhile whisk together egg, Parmigiano Reggiano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

After the 3 minutes have passed spray pan once more with olive oil and add the prepared egg mixture. Scramble eggs until just set then form eggs into the shape of the roll, top with provolone and split roll, turn off heat. You may add a lid at this point if you want your roll heated through more or if you don't want your roll steamed do not out lid on. Place into roll as soon as provolone is melted. Enjoy!



I made this recipe for one serving but just think how easy it would be to double or triple it.

No comments:

Post a Comment