Sunday, September 13, 2015

Fresh Lima Bean Soup

I just love the sweet buttery flavor of Lima Beans. Did you know that they are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber and are cholesterol - lowering from the plant sterols. Whew! That makes the Lima a win win in my eyes. I can't bring myself to eat something healthy unless it tastes good as well. You can hit the jackpot on the Lima Bean when it comes to taste and nutrition value. My Stud Muffin shucked the 4 1/2 cups of these buttery treasures for me. I lured him on with the promise of fresh Lima Bean soup. Enjoy this nice hearty buttery flavored soup where once again I worked my magic on cutting back on fat, but not on flavor. Trick your fat cells into singing. Enjoy!


  • 4 1/2 cups of freshly shucked Lima Beans*
  • 1/4 cup chicken base
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 medium sweet onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced
  • 1 cup yellow meat potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. Smart Balance original margarine
  • 1/8 to 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup Half & Half
In a large 8 qt soup pot over medium heat add first 8 ingredients. Stir well and bring to a low boil, then set to low heat and cover with lid on and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Whisk together Half & Half and cornstarch until there are no longer any lumps left. Now while stirring the soup slowly pour in the Half & Half mixture, constantly stirring. mixture will thicken up immediately. Turn off heat and serve immediately.

*I understand access to fresh Lima Beans is limited and seasonal so use some frozen ones if you do not have access to the fresh ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment