Thursday, September 3, 2015

Mushroom - Miso Pasta

I found this treasure published in my local paper The Frederick News Post. It caught my eye because it uses two of my favorite food groups, mushrooms and pasta. All I can say is that it is doubly special because it is scrumptious and healthy too. I just love that! Needless to say my Stud Muffin is my hardest critic and he loved it as well. The creaminess of this dish is wonderful without any adding fat and calories. Not to mention my love affair that I have with mushrooms. I must say my all time favorites are, number one maitake and second place is cremini. So enjoy this rich creamy tasting pasta dish without the guilt of a high fat dish, sin no more.

  • 1 12oz. box of Ronzoni Smart Taste Penne Rigate
  • 5 Tbsp of salted butter
  • 12 oz (or more if you are a mushrooms addict), of maitake and cremini mushrooms, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup dry white wine, the drinkable kind
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. white miso paste
  • 9 oz. of chicken broth
  • 4 Tbsp. of nutritional yeast
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. of Dijon mustard, optional
  • Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile in a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter, allowing it to bubble and cook until it turns a nutty brown, about 5 minutes. Watch it carefully because butter burns easily! Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the wine, stir and scrape to deglaze the skillet, simmer for about 1 minute to cook off the alcohol.

Whisk in the miso into the chicken broth and cook for 2 -3 minutes in the skillet, then add the nutritional yeast (this adds a cheesy like flavor), and stir until the sauce is uniform. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the skillet from the heat and toss into the cooked pasta.

Food Network star Melissa d'Arabian is an expert on healthy eating on a budget. She is the author of a cookbook, "Supermarket Healthy." This is my version of her scrumptious recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment