Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Eggs in Purgatory - Italian Style

The "Eggs in Purgatory" have been set free. That's right, they are in my belly and I'm fat and happy. Italians are notorious for taking a few simple ingredients and making a delicious meal. I'm here to tell you that you need to add this one to your list. It's quick & easy to make, low cost and so flavorful. It's eye candy too, I know because it made my mouth water.

I have a confession to make. When ever I  prepare fresh garlic I like to sit around afterward and smell my fingers. LOL! Why? Because I love garlic. Maybe it's an Italian thing. Anyway you can serve this on top of bread or use bread to dip into this hearty treasure. I used a hearty slice of garlic bread, but I have also used toasted organic oat bread. You decide, some may even want it on top of an English Muffin.


You will need a 12 inch nonstick skillet with a lid for this dish.

  • 2 large garlic cloves, peeled & slice thin, or 1/8 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • One 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • freshly ground sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/8 cup fresh basil leaves, I like to cut it with kitchen scissors
  • 4 large eggs
  • Shredded Parmesan cheese
  • Bread of choice: Garlic bread, English muffin, or a hearty bread toasted.
  1. Prepare and set aside above ingredients, even having the eggs cracked open and in separate dishes.
  2. Preheat nonstick skillet up on medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic and onion, saute for 3 minutes. Do not brown.
  3. Then add canned tomato, oregano and basil. Bring mixture to a simmer til it is nice and bubbly, then cook uncovered for 3 minutes. You may add salt & pepper at this time or on top after it is cooked and plated.
  4. Add eggs spread out evenly in skillet and quickly sprinkle a thin layer of shredded Parmesan over top of tomato mixture leaving egg tops exposed. Immediately cover eggs and cook for 3 minutes. No peeky, peeky! You will be poaching the eggs in the sauce. Keep in mind the mixture is hot and egg will continue to set once it is served over bread.
  5. Meanwhile as the eggs are cooking toast the bread of your choice
  6. Place 2 eggs per plate over top of the bread. Enjoy!  Serves 2


Notice how the eggs are evenly spaced in the skillet. Also I like a 3 minute egg with this dish as it will cook some more once it is removed from the skillet. If you prefer more spice you can add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes  at #3.

No comments:

Post a Comment