- 1 loaf of crusty Italian bread
- 3 Tbsp. plus 1 Tbsp. of garlic flavored olive oil
- 3 yellow sweet bell peppers
- 1 ½ cup mozzarella cheese cut into cubes
- 1 ½ tsp. dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese (optional)
Cut tops off of peppers and reserve for caps, remove seeds and membranes. In a bowl mix together croutons, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, cheese, basil, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Mix well. Stuff peppers with mixture dividing evenly between peppers. Place pepper caps on top of pepper. If peppers will not stand up, roll up a long strip of aluminum foil and wrap around base to hold them in place.
Over indirect medium heat on your grill cook peppers for 15 minutes or until tender, you do not want the pepper to lose it's shape. When peppers are cooked remove to platter and cut in half lengthwise.
You may serve this way or you may also sprinkle on some Asiago or Parmesan cheese and broil for 2-3 minutes. I like to use a hearty grain bread.